Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gobsmacked!

A couple of nights ago, after watching the royal wedding, I went to bed with no particular thoughts.  However, apparently I was overwhelmed with all of the television coverage of the royal event because every time I woke up throughout the night, which was often, a strange word came to mind.  Like a song that just plays over and over in your head.  The word was:

Gobsmacked !

Really.

I hadn't heard it at all during any of the commentaries on TV but somehow, my mind went to it, constantly while I tried to sleep. 

The definition is:  Gobsmacked combines the northern English and Scottish slang term gob, mouth, with the verb smack. It suggests the speaker is utterly astonished or astounded. It’s much stronger than just being surprised; it’s used for something that leaves you speechless, or otherwise stops you dead in your tracks. It suggests that something is as surprising as being suddenly hit in the face.

Where did I come up with English slang?  No one knows.  But I do know that I will definitely try to apply this new word in my English language 'cause it came to me in my dreams.... a l l  n i g h t  l o n g.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

We use that word all the time. After living over there it feels normal to us and we love it. No other American word even comes close to what gobsmacked implies. Love it!

Janet said...

Maybe you heard me say it once and it stuck in your subconscious? Ha! Who knows, but it's a great word, isn't it?

Tracy said...

You are right!! I'm sure I've heard you say it at least once.