Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bama

Rick took the kids camping Friday afternoon while I went to work a half shift. When my shift was over at 7:30 p.m., I had a "free" night to myself, sort-of. My mother has been living with us since April. She started campaigning for our "spare" room/den upon Emily's engagement in December. Ahhh, I knew that day would come . . . again. This isn't the first or second time she's lived with us.

I've always felt a charge for Mom, you know, a big responsibility type feeling. Sometimes it weighs me down, more often than I probably realize. I'm the baby of six children and yet it seems I'm nearly the only one capable or willing to share my home with her. I had another sister that offered, made space, etc., but it wasn't what Mom was looking for. I guess Mom's not into double-wides.

Having her move in didn't bring too many surprises, just memories of the other two times she's lived with us since I've been married for the past 20 years! Living with her takes great patience, to say the least, of which I don't have. Which brings me back to my, "night alone."

After work I decided to go to the movies by myself, something I've done only once before. I wanted to see, "Julie & Julia." Before entering the theatre I thought I should call my mother, as a courtesy, to let her know I wouldn't be straight home. That was the first thing that bugged me, being my age, a mother of four, and having to 'check in' with my mommy! Of course she didn't hear the phone and I couldn't get in touch with her. Don't worry, in the middle of the movie she called. I had the phone on vibrate and I let her leave a message.

I listened to the message when I got out of the movie which went something like this,

"Hi, this is your mother. Where are you? It's 9:15 and you're not home. I hope you're not in a car accident! Maybe you tried to call. I didn't have the phone by me. Okay, I hope you're not dead. . . . . "

Lovely. I felt 16 again (with a cell phone this time)! I called her and this time she was sitting on the phone waiting for me to call.

"Yeah, I figured you went to the movie." Was her reply.

I got home by 10:15 and Teddy, our trusty dog, was ready for a walk. I started out the door and I hear,

"You're not going out in the dark? What if someone takes you? Don't go too far from the house!"

First of all, our neighborhood is very safe. Secondly, it was going to be a short walk . . . until her comment.

On the day she moved in, I had the realization that she could live at least another 10 years.

Help me.

2 comments:

juliette said...

Help me.

Lauri said...

That is hilarious, sad, pathetic and worrisome all one one! Good for you, sad for you and shame on you all in one comment! Heehee. I always loved your mom, but yes, maybe not to live with!!!!