Friday, October 21, 2011

"Do you speak Chinese?"

My father-in-law does, speak Chinese, that is.  He was a professor of Chinese at Arizona State University for over 30 years.  Two of his three sons speak Chinese, and Rick, my husband, happens to speak Japanese (he's the black sheep of the family I guess you could say).  While vacationing in Newport Beach this past summer, we went to the Balboa Fun Zone where we each ate from whichever restaurant suited our fancy.  My husband and I chose the Japanese restaurant and were given chop sticks.  So, while sitting in the burger joint with our Japanese food, the perfect opportunity for Quinn to be taught how to use chop sticks from my father-in-law appeared.  I hope each time he picks up chop sticks to eat, he thinks of Papa and remembers his lesson.

No comments: